21 March 2007

Dust Bowl

So I live in the desert.

Today in Geology, Prof. Burt was talking about the effects of wind on erosion and the development of dunes. Talking about (as DC Talk put it) how you can't see the wind but you can see the effects of the wind. Biking to my Art History test i felt the wind on my back and thought back to a story a friend shared with me last week. We shared testimonies and he reflected on the moment he recieved Christ remembering a gust of wind. At the time he just thought it was pretty sweet, but with reflection admires the wind recognizing the Holy Spirit is described as a gust of wind. I'm not really good at recognizing God's presence in my life. He's always with me, but sometimes it is harder for me to see than others.

I feel like I'm in the middle of a dust storm. God's presence is all around everything in my life right now but as the wind picks up I can't see what is forming around me. I'm not sure where I am headed or where to step. I shift my weight trying to maintain balance only to realize the best bet is to wait until I hear a whisper guiding me where I should go.
On Spring Break we played a version of Fear factor and in one of the rounds a teammate was blindfolded and had to run behind someone banging a pot lid to direct them where to go. It's scary not being able to see. And sometimes I don't want to take a step forward. But as God's whisper guides I know I can trust His voice to follow. I want to be a Rhino. Running 30mph while I can only see 30 feet in front of me. As I've said before...the Christian life is like driving at night. You can only see as far as the headlights reach, but you can make the whole trip that way. So here I am...waiting to move. Waiting to run ahead.

1 comment:

Free and Living said...

what a beautiful realization. i like the rhino and driving at night analogy. it helps. it requires trust. i'm working on trusting and embracing.